Emergency & Disaster Information:
Please dial 2-1-1 to find information on non-profit, community or government programs, including food and shelter. We are available 24/7.
Food Safety Information:
Nova Scotia Government Food Safety fact sheets collection: https://www.novascotia.ca/nse/food-protection/factsheets-publications.asp
Public should contact their local Nova Scotia Environment office if they have questions about safe food and water during/after power outages, and flooding: https://novascotia.ca/nse/dept/regional-office-locations.asp
Frozen food: When to Save and when to Throw Out:
Saving Food When the Power is Off: https://novascotia.ca/nse/food-protection/docs/factsheet-poweroff.pdf
Food Safety After a Flood: https://novascotia.ca/nse/food-protection/docs/factsheet-flood.pdf
Using Well Water After a Flood: https://novascotia.ca/storm-support/docs/using-well-water-after-flood-en.pdf
Additional Hurricane Resources
- Nova Scotia Emergency Management Office (EMO) website
- Emergency Kit Checklist (PDF)
- Hurricane Safety Tips (PDF)
- Power Outages Safety Tips (PDF)
- Emergency Alerts
- Nova Scotia Power Outage Map or call 1-877-428-6004
Disaster Financial Assistance Program for July 2023 Floods
The Disaster Financial Assistance Program helps with costs to repair or replace uninsurable, essential basic property loss (like appliances and furniture) due to the July 2023 floods.
Repair and replacement costs for insured and insurable items (even if insurance wasn’t purchased) are not eligible for assistance. Food lost due to the July 2023 floods also isn’t eligible for assistance.
Home-sharing through Happipad
- Online platform that supports the home sharing process from start to finish for both renters and homeowners.
- In the event of an emergency in Nova Scotia, please dial 911.
- For professional health advice in Nova Scotia, please dial 811.
- For road conditions in Nova Scotia, please dial 511.
- For Halifax Regional Municipality municipal services (buses, garbage, etc.), please dial 311.
- Nova Scotia Emergency Management Office (EMO) website at http://novascotia.ca/dma/EMO/
- Canadian Red Cross (Nova Scotia) website at http://www.redcross.ca/where-we-work/in-canada/nova-scotia
- Public Safety Canada website at http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-en.aspx
- For power outages please visit Nova Scotia Power at https://www.nspower.ca/en/home/outage-centre/default.aspx or call the outage line at 1-877-428-6004
- Public Safety Canada website at http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/cnt/hzd/flds-en.aspx