Protects patients or residents 16 years of age and older receiving care in hospitals or living in residential care facilities, nursing homes or homes for the aged or disabled persons licensed under the Homes for Special Care Act, group homes or residential centres under the Children and Family Services Act.
Under the Act, abuse may be physical, emotional, sexual, neglect, theft or medical abuse.
The Act makes it mandatory for service providers or administrators of health facilities under the Act to promptly report all allegations of abuse or instances of abuse. Anyone else may report abuse under this Act.
Ages 16 years and older
Legislation requires that you report all allegations of abuse or instances of abuse by calling the toll free number • If you feel the person may be in immediate danger, call 911
If you are calling from outside North America, to report an allegation of abuse regarding an individual receiving care in a health facility under the Protection for Persons in Care Act, please call the appropriate number below:
• Annapolis and Kings Counties: 902-487-0297
• Cape Breton County, Northern and Central Inverness County and Victoria County: 902-487-0298
• Colchester County and Municipality of East Hants: 902-487-0296
• Cumberland County: 902-487-0296
• Guysborough, Antigonish and Richmond Counties and the southern portion of Inverness County: 902-487-0298
• Halifax Regional Municipality and Hants County: 902-487-0607
• Pictou County: 902-487-0296
• Lunenburg and Queens Counties: 902-487-0297
• Digby, Shelburne and Yarmouth Counties: 902-487-0297
No documents required
English • French speaking care coordinators are available in certain areas of the province