Provides financial assistance for landlords to modify homes to be more accessible for residents with disabilities. There are two types of assistance available:
- Rooming House bed-unit – Maximum loan of $16,000
- Self contained rental unit – Maximum loan of $24,000
Forgivable assistance for landlords:
- Loans can be 100 percent forgiven if the accessibility modifications are made to units/homes that are occupied by tenants below a certain income threshold.
- For rooming houses, financial assistance is available on bed units with rents below established levels.
- Landlords must sign an agreement that states that the units will continue to be affordable to lower income tenants once the modifications are completed.
Properties must meet minimum health and safety standards.
Landlords are eligible to apply for modifications to units occupied by tenants with lower income or for assistance to modify a rooming house with rent below established levels.
Any changes made must be related to housing and to the tenant’s disability.
Any work that is carried out before approval for program funding is received is not eligible to be covered.
Contact Housing Nova Scotia
All documents that a homeowner would have to submit as well as a Tenant declaration • Summary of Tenant Rents • Other documentation is required
English • French-speaking staff available upon request