Helps landlords pay for home adaptations so seniors with lower incomes can stay in their homes independently for longer periods of time.
A loan of up to $3,500 is available, and does not need to be repaid as long as the landlord agrees that the unit will be occupied for a minimum of 6 months. The landlord must also agree that rent will not increase as as result of the modifications. Repayable loans are not available.
Home repairs covered include minor items to help with age-related challenges. Some examples include:
- Handrails in hallways and stairways
- Easy-to-reach work and storage areas in the kitchen
- Lever handles on doors
- Walk-in showers and grab bars
- Bathtub grab bars and seats
Any adaptations that are made should be permanent. Exceptions can be made for equipment like bath lifts that help to make accessing basic facilities easier. Other aids like walkers and household appliances are not covered.
Landlords may qualify for this program, as long as the tenant where the adaptations will be made meets the following criteria:
• Must be at least 65 years old
• Must experience difficulty with daily activities due to advanced age
• Must have a household income that is below the income ceiling in your area
• Must be a permanent resident of the unit that will undergo repair/adaptation
Landlords must submit an application for approval before they can receive funding. Any work that is completed before you have received approval is not eligible to be covered.
Contact Housing Nova Scotia
English • French-speaking staff available upon request